Your hair is your crowning glory, and if your crowning glory is not healthy, it obviously will affect your appearance. Everyone experiences the problem of dry hair once in a while, but if the problem is regular, then it certainly is a cause for concern.
An average person has about 100,000 hairs on their scalp. Each hair has shaft has 3 layers. If you have healthy hairs, the outer layer or the scales of your hair cuticle will lie flat, overlapping tightly, so that it can protect the inner layers. But if your hair is damaged, the scales separate, and are not able to protect the inner layers. Moisture and oil escapes your hair, and they look dry and dull. Your hair even loses its soft texture and sheen.
But the problem does not end here. Dry damaged hair not only affects your appearance, but can also have an impact on your confidence. Moreover, dry brittle hair can break easily, so it certainly is a reason to worry.
Why Do You Have Dry Damaged Hair?
Not one, but various factors can contribute to dry damaged hair, and you need to be aware of them.
- Excessive Washing. One of the most common causes behind dry hair is over washing with shampoos that have harsh chemicals. These can steal away the luster and moisture from your hair. Even though many people consider prefer washing their hair everyday, most hair care specialists suggest it can make your hair lose its protective oils. So, you should wash your hair only twice or thrice a week, depending on the type of hair you have.
- Styling Products. Using styling products like relaxers, flat irons, perms, or even blow drying hair too frequently can make your hair brittle and dry. If you use flat iron on wet hair, it can even burn your precious locks. So, these products should be used only occasionally.
- Environmental Factors. Climate can be yet another reason causing damage to your hair. If you are exposed to excessive sunlight, with dry heat and little humidity, it can make your hair weak and dry. Exposure to extreme wind or chlorine present in swimming pools can also cause lots of damage, making it lose nutrients, and appear brittle. You can restrict damage from environmental conditions by wearing a scarf or hat while going outdoors, and using a swim cap while swimming in chlorinated pools.
- Malnutrition. Though many people are not are aware of it, but malnutrition too can make your hair dry and damaged. This is because your hair needs nutrients to look healthy, and in the absence of the same, your hair becomes dry, damaged and brittle. Lack of vitamin B, iodine, copper and other nutrients, results in dry hair. So, if you want your hair to look great, you must watch your diet.
How to Treat Dry Hair
- Even though dry hair is a cause for concern, it is possible to treat it, if you follow certain tips.
- Make sure to apply hair oil at least once every week. This will help your hair retain its moisture, and hair loss can also be prevented if you oil your hair at least four hairs before washing it.
- Do not wash your hair everyday. If you hair is clean, you do not need to wash it. Remember, shampooing everyday will only rid your hair of essential oils.
- Use a wide teethed comb to comb your hair, as it can help avoid breakage, and will also detangle your hair easily. Moreover, also avoid combing your hair when it is wet, as it can then break easily.
- Choosing the right shampoo for dry damaged hair is very important, as it will help give back the lost life and luster. Try to avoid chemical loaded shampoos, as they will only damage your hair further.
Best Shampoo for Dry Damaged Hair
If you want to treat your hair, and make it look beautiful again, you need to choose the right shampoo. Mentioned below are three amazing shampoo for dry damaged hair, which will surely offer great results.
1. Kiehl’s Shampoo. Kiehl’s offers a variety of shampoo that can prove to be very beneficial for damaged dry hair. In fact, Kiehl’s Superbly Smoothing Argo Shampoo, has managed to get excellent customer reviews. This shampoo is silicone and sulfate free, thus a very safe option. It is rich in essential fatty acids, argon oil, and Safflower seed oil, which helps restore moisture back into your hair.
2. Frederic Fekkai’s Shampoo. Frederic Fekkai Technician Color Care shampoo is also a very popular consumer appreciated product for dry, damaged hair. It is a perfect option for those who have damaged hair owing to excessive chemical use and styling. It has apricot, avocado, and peach extracts, which helps hydrate your mane, restoring the moisture and shine that you have lost over time. Its gentle, fruity smell is also one of the reasons behind it being so popular.
3. John Masters Organics. Yet another product that can prove to be a blessing for your mane is John Masters Organics Evening Primrose Shampoo. It contains 21 organic plant extracts and oils, which combines to hydrate your hair right from the roots to the top, making them look gorgeous. It also contains amino acids and essential proteins that will add shine and make your hair stronger than before. The absence of sulfates, and the combinations of important nutrients, makes this shampoo a great choice for brittle and dry hair.